Re: [NSW] Olympics Timetable, Draft 1

In terms of population, Burwood has about 30% more residents than
Strathfield--and commercial-wise Burwood has a medium and a large shopping
centre (Burwood Plaza & Westfield) whereas Strathfield has the medium size
Strathfield plaza. When the draft timetable was announced the press named a
few stations that were "winners" and "losers"--the biggest "loser" being
Burwood, and yes for a station in a relatively densely populated area, to
have the 4 (all-stops) trains taken away in the peak during the carnival
(because of Banko-Regent's-Lidcombe triangle shutdown) sounds horrible...

I remember there was some debate a few years ago whether South via Granville
trains should stop at Burwood rather than Ashfield...the problem was that
passengers from South via Granville wanted the trains to stop at Burwood,
but Ashfield has a even higher population than Burwood that has to travel to
the City, so in November 1996 (ha!) a compromise was made that all South via
Granville trains stop at both Burwood and Ashfield (previously only
Ashfield, and today only peak services stop at Burwood), which was good, but
the problem in November 1996 was that the off-peak South via Granville
trains ran on the local line (platforms 5/6), and Burwood station users,
stupid enough didn't bother boarding those Ashfield-Redfern-Central trains,
but instead waited on the suburban line platforms (3/4) for one of the slow
west or main north trains--so in the restoration of the Feb. 96 timetable
those Burwood stops were removed.

M2Ib5.31$Li4.7055@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:M2Ib5.31$Li4.7055@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...