Re: $99 one-way airfares : Who needs the XPT

I still paid a little less than that for my Syd-Melb trip tomorrow and last
return trip was $139, the same as a one way journey by the other new
airline. Its the money that matters more to me! By the time I get to the
airport you can add a few more dollars, then a few more at the other end
which I dont have to pay by train. I dont need to be there in a few hours
(plus I rather like train travel), although I grant you many others will
undoubtedly "take the plane".

That brings up another point. Why dont the railways adapt! What I would
really like is some simple bunk accomodation to stretch out on (bring your
own bedding or pay extra for railway supplied). Im sure it would really
grab the back-packer market (a nights sleep AND a new city in the morning)
as well as the budget traveller and others who just want to arrive well
rested. With a 9pm departure and 7am arrival there is not much point in a
sitting car anyway. Seems I have seen the type of cars Im talking about in
'40's films from the USA. Even if they are 'racked up' with only room to
lie down it would be a hell of a lot more comfortable than trying to sleep
half sitting up!

Anyone care to discuss the possible design of such a "dormitory" carriage?

Paul Bech
morbieus@hotmail.com

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in article
<rEV95.120$SD6.513278@news0.optus.net.au>...