Re: Transition Couplers

I don't know about the theory but many years ago the Brisbane bound XPT had
one XP fail at Taree and the other at Glenapp.  44229 did the rescue honours
from memory.

On the up service, although it was over four hours late into Grafton, 44229
+ 6 passenger cars + the trailing XP (providing auxilliary power) lost no
time, compared with the XPT running time, between Grafton and Taree (after
Taree with a different driver we lost another hour before Sydney).  There
are few sprints between Grafton and Taree (Braunstone, Boambee, Wauchope)
but these were exploited and the 115km/h limit was certainly challenged.  As
a passenger there was no noticeable difference in the motive power.

Chris

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
39649E90.C79005C0@ozemail.com.au">news:39649E90.C79005C0@ozemail.com.au...
> Ben O'Regan wrote:
>
> > Similarly for the XPT. When an towed by a normal loco, how does the
coupling
> > work. I've seen a photo (On David Johnson's photo page see:
> > http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/XPT/44212_NT-4_Broadmeadow_15-1-91.jpg )
and
> > it looks like the coupler and associated brake pipes slide out from
under
> > the nose. Does this arrangement allow for normal (non-XPT) speeds?
>
> From XPT General Information and Working Instructions:
> "Hauling a Disabled Train with a Locomotive
>
> "When an XPT train [sic] is to be hauled by a locomotive the brake pipe
and main
> reservoir hoses are to be coupled and associated air cocks opened between
the
> locomotive and car set and the Driver's brake handles on the XPT placed in
the
> Release position and the Driver's brake valve isolating cocks closed.
>
> "Where an XPT set cannot be operated under its own power and is required
to be
> hauled by a locomotive, the set should be manned by a qualified Driver.
The
> duties of this Driver will include preparation and stabling, setting up of
and
> attention to lighting and air conditioning during transit.
>
> "The XPT driver is to travel in the leading driver's cab and the reverser
handle
> must be placed in the "Engine Only" position to permit use of the Radio,
P.A.
> system and fault indications."
>

> The Emergency Coupling Head should be stored in the Compressor
Compartment, as