Re: Transition Couplers

Ben O'Regan wrote:

> I would like to know what (if any) speed restrictions are placed on Tangaras
> when being used with the Schaefenburg?/Knuckle coupler adaptor. I know they
> are only for use in an emergency situation & therefore have not been
> designed for the normal operating conditions, but still I wonder what are
> the limitations.

OMET 803:
"When the emergency coupler is used between a Tangara train and a train other
than a Tangara, the maximum speed of the combined train is 25 km/h.

"When the emergency coupler is used, wherever possible, the disabled train must
be hauled from the section.

"If it is not possible to haul the disabled train, it may be propelled to the
first available siding where the combined train can be remarshalled and the
disabled train hauled out of service.

"A Tangara train must not be used to haul or propel a disabled train if the
gross mass of the disabled train exceeds the gross mass of the Tangara train."

> Similarly for the XPT. When an towed by a normal loco, how does the coupling
> work.

IIRC, the coupler slides out and is locked in place with a pin through the
shank.  Hoses are screwed on.

> I've seen a photo (On David Johnson's photo page see:
> http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/XPT/44212_NT-4_Broadmeadow_15-1-91.jpg ) and
> it looks like the coupler and associated brake pipes slide out from under
> the nose. Does this arrangement allow for normal (non-XPT) speeds?

I think it does.  They don't lose too much time when this arrangement is in
place.   I doubt it would take to kindly to being propelled.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au