Re: [NSW] Old Structures was Gauntlet Track

Robert Lee wrote in message <_QF85.29412$N4.1148090@ozemail.com.au>...
>Derrick,
>
>Thank you for this wonderful posting.  I'm so pleased someone has done this
>work.

Beware: its like the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.... entertaining but
not necessarily accurate.

Comments on my own list.... Fairfield surely 1856 not 1858; Liverpool goods
shed on track layout diagram dated 1858, but probably there at opening in
1856.

ARHS Bulletin 1955 on Sydney-Parramatta opening has map of Sydney yard
showing (ever so slighltly, but ever so clearly) that the single track to
Darling Harbour was offset to the right of the tunnel (facing tunnel from
Sydney Yard end) insinuating the stone arch was indeed constructed to
accommodate double track. Most  major structures on rest of "system" were
constructed to double track standards, even though track was single from
Newtown to Parramatta on opening day.

The 1855 structure gauge specified a 14 foot 6 inch (4.42 m) overhead
clearance, clearly a problem when electrification with its 16 foot 6 inch
(5.03m) clearance requirement came along in 1956. Fortunately for us the
stone arch is semi-circular, not "flat", and thus gauntlet track rather than
demolition was a solution.

1867-68 stone culverts in Picton - Mittagong section near Colo Vale on
original 1 in 33 alignment.

Couridjah (Picton Lakes) had 1867-68 stone pumphouse.still in existence in
1967.

>Just a few questions:  (1) Where is Meryla????  That's a new one to
>me!

On original line near Werai, main south. Line deviated, leaving "whitton"
gatehouse in the middle of a paddock. Can be seen on down side of line from
current trains.

> (2)  Are you sure the structures you mention on the Richmond line are
>original?  It was built to very light standards and then rebuilt in 1878.

Note question marks. Windsor original station building was demolished and
re-erected as a private dwelling some distance away; Riverstone and Mulgrave
ORIGINAL buildings in existence in 1964. Riverstone building beside the 1878
one; Mulgrave building bumped from station to residence status. See ARHS
bulletin 1964. I have not travelled the line in many years, and
electrification and modernisation might have done these in.

>I'd assumed the surviving buildings date from then, not construction, but I
>could be wrong (I often am).

>   (3)  I didn't realise that Mittagong still had
>its original building - WOW.  I recently discovered an account (in the SMH)
>of an orgy in Mittagong to celebrate the line's opening in 1867.  Now I
know
>where all the booze was drunk, etc, etc.  By the way, John Whitton died
>about 200 metres away.

What from the cumulative effects of the many opening ceremonies he must have
attended?

The original building is sort of hidden under the footbridge, but if you
look at it closely you can see its very untypical of other existing old NSW
buildings, more in common with the long-gone buildings in the
Sydney-Parramatta section than the style Whitton started with Campbelltown
and Parramatta. And in my opinion the later buildings had more pleasing
proportions.

>  (4) Isn't Cox's River viaduct wonderful!!!

Its a crying shame that its so tucked away from view and "unphotographable".
Has anyone taken reasonable shots of this structure?

>  and
>finally (5) having invited Victorians to take over this posting, why
haven't
>they?????  Come on Victorians, tell us about your oldest structures!

Yes I would like to see a list of "bluestone beauties".

SA and Tas probably also have some relics tucked away.