Re: [NSW] Gauntlet Track

David Johnson wrote in message <39619110.B818CA44@ozemail.com.au>...
>Robert Lee wrote:
>
>> This train of thought leads me to pose another question:  what ARE the
>> oldest railway structures in Australia.  Fairfield's down platform
building
>> (1856) is the oldest station I know of.  Parramatta, Penrith, Menangle,
>> Picton and SIngleton are all late 1850s or early 1860s passenger
stations,
>> although the ones nearer Sydney have been much expanded.
>
>What about Petersham?
>

>--
>David Johnson
>trainman@ozemail.com.au
>http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/
>------------------------------------
>These comments are made in a private
>capacity and do not represent the
>official view of State Rail.
>C.O.W.S. Page 11.

Petersham, though elegant, is not amongst the oldest. All of the original
and very early buildings and infrastructure along the main suburban stem
have been lost due to massive rebuildings.... duplication, quadruplication,
sextuplication, electrification, relocation, the original Petersham
included. Forunately we have Parramatta, Penrith, Fairfield, Menangle,
Picton, Zig-zag and the goods shed at Liverpool to keep us in touch with our
past.

Some years ago I compiled a list of surviving relics dating from 1870 or
before.Additions / corrections / comments welcome. There could be more
around Maitland, Morpeth and Newcastle; I think there is a stone culvert or
2 on the original alignment of the Picton-Mittagong section now carrying a
road; there might be some relics of small-scale works within the metrop
area. Also, a lot of early infrastructure was timber.

 NSW Railway Relics to 1870
Year Location       Description
1855 Sydney       Stone arch under central square
1858 Fairfield      Combined residence /  Station down plat
1858 Liverpool    Goods shed now cityrail office
1860 Parramatta Station blg down platform
1862 Menangle    Iron bridge
1863 Knapsack   Viaduct
1863 Menangle    Combined residence /  Station up plat
1863 Penrith         Iron bridge
1863 Penrith         Station blg down platform
1863 Picton          Station blg up platform
1863 Picton          Viaduct
1864 Mulgrave     Residence was station ?
1864 Riverstone  Station blg up platform ?
1864 Windsor      Original station removed / reerected
1867 Bowral        Station on down platform ?
1867 Medlow Bath Gatehouse #11
1867 Picton         Tunnel
1867 Valley Heights Gatehouse #6
1867 Valley Heights Gatehouse #4
1868 Meryla         Gatehouse
1868? Mittagong Smaller building on up platform
1869 Clarence     Tunnel
1869 Goulburn     Residence
1869 Goulburn     Goods shed?
1869 Goulburn     Station blg up platform
1869 Marulan     Combined Residence / Station down plat
1869 Nth Goulburn Gatehouse
1869 Zig-Zag     Half arch, top points
1869 Zig-Zag     Tunnel
1869 Zig-Zag     No2 Viaduct
1869 Zig-Zag     Water supply dam
1869 Zig-Zag     No1 Viaduct
1869 Zig-Zag     No3 Viaduct
1869 Lithgow     Part Johns St underbridge?
1870 Bowenfels Middle river viaduct
1870 Bowenfels Residence
1870 Bowenfels Gatehouse
1870 Bowenfels Station, down plat
1870 Emu Plains Combined Residence / Station down plat
1870 Marrangaroo Gatehouse
1870 Marrangaroo Viaduct
1870 Rookwood/Ainslie Mortuary receiving house, now church
1870 Sydney         Mortuary receiving house
1870 Wallerawang Combined Residence / Station up plat
1870 Wallerawang Cox's River Viaduct