Re: Trans Adelaide impression

> Now this is interesting:-) I heard  of Jumbos have a rather expensive
> operating cost due to more expensive maintenance and less fuel
efficiency
> engine compare with 3000/3100 class DMU.
>
> Would a 2 cars Jumbo cheaper to operate then a N class loco hauling  2
> carriages?

Compared to a more modern railcar, it may well be more expensive.
Compared to an N hauling 2 carriages, you would also need to consider
(in my opinion, although admittedly some of these are minor points
although it all adds up):

* Cost of running a 2475HP loco (weighing 123t - add a bit more for the
2 carriages) vs. a 525HP railcar (weighing 110t). My guess would be the
railcar is cheaper to run.

* Cost of maintenance. I would suspect the N would cost more but if
anyone knows, I would be interested in a more detailed analysis.

* Wasted time cost. Although it wouldn't take all that long to run an N
around the 2 carriages, it still would take significantly longer than
walking from one end of a railcar to the other.

* Lost opportunity cost. After all, how productive is it to run an N
with 2 carriages vs. running it on a real train...8^) I am sure even
National Express would prefer to see a passenger loco running longer
trains economically than running it on a political 2 carriage train
service. I wonder if anyone asked them whether they wanted the overhead
to Warragul (and beyond) ripped up? <opens can of worms> Heck, we could
even have had our own electric interurban trains to describe as the
greatest train in Australia, btw...8^)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.