Re: [NSW] The closure of Homebush station.

I haven't read this but it seems perfectly logical to me (doesn't mean I'm
right of course).

Both Homebush and Macdonaldtown stations will be closed during the Olympics
as an up train that stops at either Macdonaldtown or Homebush (up suburban
line on which they usually stop) restricts crossover movements on the Sydney
side of each station.  Both sets of crossovers are too important to have an
extra 60+ second delay added by the stopping trains - a case of a small
sacrifice to the vastly greater good.

Regarding Berala (and Regents Park?) you need to look at Lidcombe's
situation.  The main lines will carry Olympic Park traffic only, a very wise
move to isolate delays on either the main or suburban lines.  The south/west
junction to the west of Lidcombe again becomes a significant issue for
capacity.  Better to have all trains travel to/from the west and not use the
junction (also means 2 extra sets of critical points that can't fail).  The
south/west junction at Granville can handle the load and it's in a better
position operationally being about 200m west of Granville station.
Liverpool-City trains via Regents Park can travel via Bankstown.  Main South
CountryLink services can travel via East Hills.

Most Liverpool-City passengers should be encouraged to travel via Bankstown
or East Hills (with a change at Glenfield).

On the topic of the down local at Macdonaldtown and it's affect on the
local/suburban crossovers - with the use of approach release signals and
intermediate train stops it's incredible that an up local service that will
stop at Macdonaldtown must be stopped just short of the platform to allow a
local/suburban manoeuvre to occur.  The up local service then advances 200m,
stops at Macdonaldtown and then takes off paralysing local/suburban
manoeuvres for the interim.

Other capacity restrictive points that will bite during the Olympics:
* Down main at Strathfield, when a train is stopped at platform 3 the
    following service is held about 400m east instead of being allowed
    to "close up";
* Up suburban at Strathfield, inability of up train to enter platform 4 at
    Strathfield when up train on platform 5 (from main north) has the
    road/departs;
* Parramatta up and down main and local lines.  When busy this station
    can hardly better a 3 minute headway for love nor money, again no
    ability to "close up"

If the Olympic timetable keeps matters as simple as possible, then barring
equipment failures, the Olympics will pass better than most expect.

Chris