Re: Pendennis Castle

chris@enet21.com.au wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I really wonder at the mental capability of some people.

With a statement like that, I wonder too.

> "the loco belongs in the UK"
>
> How you people react if it was decided by the Australian Government that it was handing all foreign exhibits and art
> in every Australian museum back to the country it originated from?

With some items I think they belong in their original country especially if we are not in a position to look after it
properly ourselves. In an art gallery a painting is properly looked after and preserved, but we are not in a position to
look after any more locos than what we already have.

> Like it or not, the locomotive is a historic exhibit, it is in Australia as a one of a kind,
> the UK has at least 7 examples at last count (not including hair brained plans of building more).

And we have enough trouble looking after what we have without collecting "one of a kind" locos from the rest of the world.

> It should be placed in a Australian museum where the average Australian can admire it. I really doubt if the average
> UK citizen will miss it. The only ones who will are a bunch of middle to old aged train "nuts" who will all be dead in
> 15-20 years time.

And will most Australian's really understand the significance of this loco. Out here it is nothing more than a curiosity
without the historical significance to Australia that a loco like 3801 has. It has a better chance of being looked after
properly in the country where it does have historical significance.

> How long do you think steam runs will be allowed by the EU to continue?What about tourist railways?

> From a economic point of view the UK rail preservation movement is really over capitalised. Some UK locomotives in the
> future will have trouble finding a new homes as funds run out due to a aging membership. (it is happening here too)
> Young people are not into "playing trains" as much as the older generation.

I'm 18 and although there aren't that many, I know I'm not the only railfan of my age who helps to restore or maintain
items of our railway heratige. And after reading this statement of yours, how can we justify having to look after
something that is not relevant to Australia's railway history when we are facing problems like this.

> I don't care if it is donated to the Powerhouse Museum, (probably a better place) as long as I stays in a Australian
> museum.

Out the back, locked away in a storage shed I suppose. Is this what you really want?

> I am really suprised at you guys sense of "aussie fair go" with regards to a shady deal done between Rio Tinto Plc.
> and the Ditcot rail museum.

I don't care who made the deal. All I am worried about is the locomotive, not Rio Tinto and any problems you have had with
them.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: