[WA] PRHS diesels (was: Pendennis Castle)

Maurie Daly wrote:

> If PRHS is almost defunct , without getting into the argument re the steam
> loco,there are a couple of historical diesel locos that it would be a shame to
> see dissapear or rust away.
> Whilst some may argue that these locos arnt significant in the context of Aus
> railway history,its still worthwhile giving them some consideration.
> The Alco S2 would be the oldest diesel loco in Australia still  operational
> and the EMD - F7 would come next,being an example of what really started
> dieselization for EMD in the US.
> Sadly there arnt many places that these locos could run,Hunter valley possibly.

I would argue that these diesels are historically significant to Australia as these are the only examples of these
diesels that have ever run in Australia. They are also historically significant because of the role they played in the
early years of the Pilbara iron ore railroads. Even if they can't be retained in running condition they should be
preserved statically somewhere in Australia.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au