Re: Pendennis Castle

Bill wrote:

> I totally agree with David. IMO, the purchase of the Pendennis Castle was no
> more than an egotistical exercise by Hamersley Managers in the 1970s. It was
> totally out of place in the Pilbara. (I saw it there in 1978.) In fact, it has
> no place in Aussie railway history.

According to Leon Oberg's book "1850's - 1990's Locomotives of Australia" Hammersly
Iron actually purchased the Pendennis Castle because they couldn't get an
appropriate loco from NSW.

> Has Hamersley kept any of its early Alco locomotives?

This is taken from Locopage:

007 - Pilbara Railway Historical Society
1000 - Pilbara Railway Historical Society
2003 - Pilbara Railway Historical Society
3017 - Pilbara Railway Historical Society

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au