Re: Pendennis Castle

I totally agree with David. IMO, the purchase of the Pendennis Castle was no
more than an egotistical exercise by Hamersley Managers in the 1970s. It was
totally out of place in the Pilbara. (I saw it there in 1978.) In fact, it has
no place in Aussie railway history.

We have the silly situation in NZ that one enthusiast, who must have  plenty of
money, has imported steam locos from South Africa. In the meantime, a number of
New Zealand steam locos elsewhere in the country are not being overhauled or
even maintained properly. The SA locos have no significance in NZ.

There are good historical, cultural, and social arguments for retaining some
old steam (and diesel, come to that) locomotives in running order, but I
believe that commonsense dictates that the resources and effort to restore and
run them should be directed to locos that are truly significant to the area
concerned.

Has Hamersley kept any of its early Alco locomotives?

Bill