Re: Pendennis Castle

I received the following e mail today from the Department of Communications
and Cultural Affairs Canberra. Seems like Hammersley can export the
locomotive. Well the balls in your court if you want it to stay.

Cheers

Rod Gayford

Dear Mr Gayford

Thank you for your email.  Officers from my section had discussions with
Hammersley Iron last week on the subject of the repatriation of the engine
the UK.

For the Protection of Movable Cultural Heritage Act 1986 to apply to the
engine, it must meet the criteria laid down under Part 4 of the National
Cultural Heritage Control List.  One of these criteria requires that  an
object manufactured outside Australia  must have been in use within
Australia
for at least 30 years.  Hammersley Iron have advised us that the engine was
imported into Australia in the late 1970s in an effort by the Company to
promote tourism in the Pilbara.  As the engine has been in Australia less
than 30 years it does not meet all the criteria, the Act does not apply to
it, and its export can not be prevented by the operation of the legislation.

I am not aware of any other Commonwealth legislation which would prohibit
the
export of the engine.  There may be provisions under Western Australian
State
legislation, but you would need to obtain advice from WA authorities on
this.

Peter Mitchell
Secretariat
National Cultural Heritege Committee