Re: QR management - was Railfan freindly railways (was: Left Wing Jerks)

In article <388acfa9$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au>,
  "Kosh" <richardc@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> canetram59 wrote in message <3887fc25@grissom>...
> >Yes, Vince O'Rourke and QR management are intent on promoting QR and
> >certainly would not consider them "left wing jerks"!!
> snip
> >Even with all of this QR by no means is backwards looking, their
search
> for,
> >and use of modern technology must be up there with world's best
practice -
> >tilt trains, track upgrades, signalling and safeworking systems, new
> >suburban/interurban lines (to the Gold Coast) and realignment of
main lines
> >to improve speed and efficiency. What more do you want?
>
> I wonder if the original post was a bit of a "free kick" as apart
from how
> the bosses of QR could be called "left wing jerks" is anyone's guess,
and QR
> seem to be (with Westrail not far behind) running just about the best
> multi-use railway anywhere outside Europe or Japan. So I will thank
the
> original poster for letting me get out my hobbyhorse again, and
promote it
> to those of us who still dream of destroying the Australian
> antipathy/antagonism towards rail transport- through promoting sound
> management, proper levels of investment and forward planning, and
> recognising the competitor as not being other rail operators, but road
> transport.

-------
>    http://www.newsfeeds.com       The Largest Usenet Servers in the
World!
> ------== Over 73,000 Newsgroups - Including  Dedicated  Binaries
Servers ==-----

I would say QR is currently the best government own railway system,
Westrail is a close second. They(QR) certainly know how to promot
themself especially with passenger trains and stay competitive(look at
what they have done with tilt trains and 10 years ago, Spirit of
Capricorn, as well as mainline upgrade). QR also recieve big sum of CSO
from government to upgrade its facilities/infracstructure and order new
and impressive rolling stocks. (perhaps good transport minister?)

They could do a little bit better such as extension of narrow gauge
lines to Northern NSW, Toowoomba main range deviation and passenger
service for Redcliff, Greenbank, Toowoomba and west of Rosewood and try
to cut down the transit time further between Cairns and Brisbane
because even after tilt train introduced, it requires 27 hours, not
very competitive at all.

My personal opinion, QR outstand most of the rail operators, even
better then some of the private operators.

Cheers

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.