Re: East Gippsland Vic log trains

Freight_man <freight_man@hotmail.com> wrote in message
8674u5$8gv$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:8674u5$8gv$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> Never been beyond Sale, so could you tell me a little about the track,
> please?
> Is it flat, or hilly and are the curves broad or sharp etc etc.
> Also do they have much trouble with the RTL. Its main problem, as
repoerted
> by our Training Section 'xsperts' seem to be related to wheel slipping
> ,especially on wet rails, and consequently wearing [burning] out the
$5,000
> Tyres.15 empty wagons would weigh about 340 tonnes and 6 loads between 360
> and 420 tonnes. This would be a very good load indeed for a 400hp Truck!
> Rod

The RTL attempted 15 wagons on the line a couple of weeks ago when the rails
were damp. I missed the event, but apparently there was a cloud of blue
(rubber burning) smoke emanating from the rear wheels. The grade east of
Stratford is 1 in 50 and is the first long grade of significance east of
Sale. There are a number of short 1 in 66 grades at the site of Stratford
Junction (turnout still in place).
The line to Bairnsdale from Sale is pretty much a mainline, so 1 in 50 is
the steepest grade (several) and the only 'sharp' curves are those at
Stratford including the Avon River bridge (15km/h limit). My curve and grade
book is not handy so I can't give more details than that.
Shunting at Hillside, I have seen up to 25 wagons (15 loaded and 10 empty)
moved at once. Last Monday (17.1) there was a small amount of wheelslip
while moving about 15 wagons from a standstill.
I hear that once the Avon bridge has a T class over it, the RTL will be
allocated some sand traffic from Koala siding near Nyora. Will be
interesting to see what length trains it can handle there..

Darren