Re: Mixing Loco Parts

"Ian Larcher" <metalastic@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
iUIh4.7005$3b6.34257@ozemail.com.au">news:iUIh4.7005$3b6.34257@ozemail.com.au...
> Reading  various postings on this subject, and those previous on the
> possibility of 6042 interstate. Does this mean that 6042 should be
> renumbered  60 pick a number between 01-50 One things for sure- it is not
> the original 6042.
>
> If memory serves me correctly-It currently has the major components (front
> engine unit, rear engine unit & boiler) off three different engines, of
> course there is then the old chestnut of the two 6042's photographed side
by
> side- yes there were two for a short while.
>
> All NSW engines were cannibalised for parts whilst in workshops to get
other
> engines going & out of shops, and as previously stated Boiler & tender
swaps
> were routine- the 1st available overhauled unit being fitted.
>
> Certainly every engine at LVR Cowra has components off many other
engine's,
> and this was the norm. For arguments sake 3026 has parts off 5112 &
> conversely 5112 has 3026's parts- yes I know they are different classes,
but
> be assured many items are interchangeable.
>
> Obviously they were both in shops together at some time and what ever part
> had been overhauled first was fitted. 5367 has parts off at least 5
> different std goods- no LVR engine has a boiler originally manufactured
for
> that engine fitted.
>
> If you want to be pedantic no NSW engine that I am aware off should be
> called by the number it carries now, but who gives a stuff- be thankful
for
> what we've got.

So what we are saying really is that its abit crazy to be worried about
which loco is which,for in fact this loco goes with that loco,and in actual
fact may be another loco.
Yes that seems fair enough to me,and certainly makes sense.
So lets get R700 back on the road,and as an aside get the Williamstown
Museum covered,before the volunteers all die or fade away and like wise the
exhibits .
Graeme