Re: Goodbye Overland

In article <3884b386$0$1745@motown.iinet.net.au>,
  "Graeme" <gvrail@thatsent.com.au> wrote:
I think the way to save The Overland is to see
> the  train operate both as a daylight and overnight train, with
overnight
> services operated on nights of peak demand which is roughly three
days per
> week and daylight services on another three days per week leaving one
day
> per week for the consists to receive heavy servicing, detailed
cleaning etc
> etc.
>
> With the reduction in journey times brought about by concrete
resleepering
> and rerailing in Victoria and hopefully more to come, there is the
scope to
> see The Overland service even do complete round trips in the peak of
the
> peak (such as AFL Football Finals, Easter etc), that gives the train
greater
> flexibility to respond to the market.

Currently the running time almost can make a quick day trip. The 30$
supersaver introduced couple of month ago has been a great suceess,
Overland has always been a headache for AN since the introduction of
Compass airline.

> If rail can't compete directly with road and or air because of speed
or even
> price then the next best thing is to have it carve out a unique niche
in
> terms of a scenic tourist orientated day service on one hand as well
as a
> classic overnight train on the other when demand is high!!!
>
> For all their faults etc there are some good examples of how both
Amtrak and
> Via Rail (Canada) have been successful in re-positioning long distance
> passenger rail.  Via Rail's Skeena which was an overnight passenger
service
> operating in Western Canada suffered from similar problems that
affect The
> Overland.  They converted the overnight service into a daylight
operation
> re-engineered the on board service etc with the result that patronage
has
> boomed!!!

How about borrow the "round end" lounge(Wegman) carriages from ASR?
There is a potential for Overland, it can be as sucessful as Ghan or
Indian Pacific if carefully marketing.

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.