Re: [Geelong] Free bus, maybe trams

Vaughan Williams wrote:

> Michael is right about the vline buses wandering all over the Geelong
> suburbs. They really shouldn't stop anywhere between Geelong City and
> Torquay.
>
> Free bus services to get people around the CBD and waterfront are all
> well and good, and the return of trams would be better, but theres not
> much point while metropolitan Geelong still has such a poor bus system.
>
> Geelong buses mostly run half hourly on weekdays, and the weekend
> services are so poor they might as well not exist. They also feed into
> three terminii in the central city area, one of which is at the train
> station where it should be. A few years ago they were given federal
> funds to build a totally unnecessary third bus terminal when the
> problem was not a lack of terminii but a lack of buses.
>
> Rather than carrying on about "Fix The Jam", Geelong City Council would
> do well to start lobbying for a more frequent service to Melbourne
> along the three track rail line and start fixing up their hopeless bus
> system.

What 3 track rail line. AFAIK, there are only 2 direct rail lines between
Laverton and Geelong (East line and West line). That is unless you are
referring to the SG line as well? The SG line would be a bad choice for a
commuter rail line for 2 reasons:
- It runs via Tottenham and Dynon
- There are only 3 crossing loops between Spencer St and Geelong (Bunbury
St, Tottenham and Manor) which would result in large delays on the 1 3/4
hour journey.

The Geelong line has a very good service during peak times (as close as 10
mins - better than some suburban lines) and an adequate off peak (every 1
hr at least Mon - Sat). I think that all that needs improving is Sunday
timetable.

You are right about the bus service however. I was waiting at Corio Village
shopping centre recently (at about 1600 on a weekday) and wanted to catch a
bus to Lara (where I was staying). I waited for about 25 mins and finally
another bus than the one I wanted pulled up. I asked the driver when the
next Lara bus was, and the last one had actually departed for the day!! I
ended up walking to Corio Railway station (several KM away) and caught a
train to Lara (after waiting 6 mins at the station).

Sam Eades