Re: Magic Trains!!

Notagunzel <notagunzel@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
9_ig4.143$WK1.7618@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:9_ig4.143$WK1.7618@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...
> pdwyer <pdwyerNOpdSPAM@ecn.net.au.invalid> wrote in message
> 2107d358.b887d158@usw-ex0101-004.remarq.com">news:2107d358.b887d158@usw-ex0101-004.remarq.com...
> > In article <3880374B.CD62C3@one.net.au>, John Godfrey
> > <jgodfrey@one.net.au> wrote:
>
> > > Why cannot there now be some form of alarm to alert a signalmen
> > > that a BLOODY train just does not lift-off the tracks and
> > > complete its journey as a 747 jet!!!
>
> > QR's UTC system does just that.
>
> I assume it does this via the train describer somehow?

No, it does it from the telemetry inputs from the field. The train
describer's entire job is to remember the train's number, as it steps around
the countryside.

> 'Cause if i take my 20c piece and do what 20c pieces do, and then put it
> back in my pocket, does the UTC panic over the 'train' that disappeared?

"Unknown train **** appeared on *** Track". & yes, we come looking for you
:-p

> > There's also a 'slug' of four seconds on tracks to prevent false
> > indications/operations due to tracks 'bobbing'.
>
> That's normal for a 'real' railway normally. |-)

Well in the BSA with the old Mayne panel, I don't recall having anything
special, but the CTC's always had the timer.