Re: [NSW] Regents Park vs. Granville lines?

The problem with the Regent's Park line is again the lack of patronage. At
the moment the timetable is really shit--15 minute intervals between trains
to the City (2 via Strathfield and 2 via Bankstown, which is even worse than
the inner west local line).

What I hope to see though when the M sets are delivered is that they will go
to Hornsby (better maintenance) and that some additional T sets and S sets
can be transferred to sectors 1 and 2 so that a faster service can run from
LPO-RGP, then LDC, SFD, Burwood, AFD, Redfern and CCL.

One view I haven't expressed before is that the Sydney rail system sometimes
seems like it's a Light Rail system than Heavy Rail. The main reason being
some stations being so close together (e.g. Denistone/West Ryde,
Lewisham/Petersham, Milson's Point/North Sydney) and it just doesn't make
sense for both stations to be in existence at all since they are within
WALKING DISTANCE from each other, and for trains to start and stop and start
and stop like they do on the inner west local line, Bankstown Line and Main
North all stations, it just makes the maintenance costs high and annoys the
hell out of passengers when that's the only sort of "service" available to
them.

What we may not need is additional heavy rail lines branching out from main
lines but have frequent buses (i.e. > 1 bus every 15 min)  and larger
interchanges at stations. When you have branch lines joining a main line it
causes chaos and timetabling problems. Already I can see that the down Main
North/Penrith services are always delayed by down Campbelltown via Granville
services crossing tracks from using the "local line" to the other track.

Bradley Torr <btorr@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote in message
85ifmm$kmr$1@the-fly.zip.com.au">news:85ifmm$kmr$1@the-fly.zip.com.au...
> Hi,
>
> Having spent my adolescence in the lovely city of Liverpool, NSW, and
> regularly travelling up to Sydney throughout my formative years, this
> question has always bothered me - why is it that the All Stations To
> Liverpool goes down the Regent's Park anabranch, but the Express goes the
> long way via Granville and Fairfield? The so-called 'express' trains out
> Liverpool via Granville are hardly expresses at all - they generally stop
at
> all stations from Lidcombe onward, and still takes approximately 50
minutes!
> Meanwhile, the Regents Park line which is shorter in distance suffers the
> "all stations to Central" trains...... which stop at all those pissy
little
> inner-west stations where, like, a whole two people get on and off... it
> takes up to 1 hour and 5 minutes!
>
> In my eyes, wouldn't it be better to run the south-western services like
> this:
>
> * Run the Liverpool via Granville as it now is - Redfern, Ashfield,
Burwood,
> Strathfield, Lidcome, all stations to Liverpool via Granville;
>
> * Change Liverpool via Regents Park to Redfern, Strathfield, Lidcombe and
> all stations to Liverpool via Regents Park;
>
> * And all the 'pissy little inner west stations' will still be adequately
> served by Bankstown trains (and possibly Liverpool via Granville trains in
> the off-peak).
>
> This would greatly improve services to Liverpool and even Campbelltown
> commuters (who will then have a decent alternative to the shoddy East
Hills