Re: [NSW] Newcastle realignment {Snake Valley Line Flavour}

The East Hills line amplification has been approved and affected services
(signalling, telecom, water, sewer....whatever) are being moved.

(The following technical details are from the East Hills Rail Line
Amplification EIS - August 1996)

Despite initially hearing that a 3rd track would be added between Turrella
(at the station) and Kingsgrove (13.9km - actually closer to Beverly Hills)
the RSA staff at AusRail advised that the line would be quadruplicated over
this section.

Planned speed for the new tracks are 80km/h NSR interface to Bardwell Park
station and 100km/h Bardwell Park to end of work near Beverly Hills.

The extra two tracks will not have platforms and will be the express lines.
The express lines will join the existing lines via 100km/h tangential
turnouts.

Someone else may be able to advise whether or not Kingsgrove will gain extra
platforms for the express lines and/or the installation of a terminating
road between the existing up and down lines.

Its possible (or was a couple of weeks prior to Xmas) to see conduit
protuding from the ground where signals and associated equipment for the
express tracks will be located.

Once the new tracks are completed the existing up and down line were due to
be completely rebuilt with new ballast, concrete sleepers and continuously
welded rail - the ultimate in deferred maintenance.

I don't know when this work is due for completion but it will quite be some
time after the NSR opens.  Any updates?

And the vegie gardens between Kingsgrove and Bevo, I bet they only got the
flick for the new down track.

Chris

Hubert Lam <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message
85hgdp$1qn$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:85hgdp$1qn$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> How do they manage to fit all the trains at the moment that run on the
line
> with such crappy infrastructure?
>

> Andrew Honan <ahonan@zipworld.com.au> wrote in message
> 387c080d.2524540@news.zipworld.com.au">news:387c080d.2524540@news.zipworld.com.au...
> >
> > I agree with this...
> > The East Hills service is stuck in a time warp. Maintenance on the
> > line needs to be substanially upgraded and the Right of Way secured
> > for an upgraded service.
> > The line needs to be upgraded to Continous Welded Rail and concrete
> > sleepers.
> > The line needs to be properly secured,  Access onto the corridor is
> > too easy for vandals. (Market gardeners on the corridor have only just
> > been evicted).
> >
> > There needs to be much better asset management of these lines.....
> >
> > Andrew
> >
> > On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 23:47:58 +1100, "Bradley Torr"
> > <btorr@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote:

> > >Yes! This would be excellent... but as you mentioned to me before,
> provision
> > >for electrification hasn't been made on the Main South past the Glenlee
> > >branch (bridge heights, etc.) I have always thought it odd that the
Main
> > >South is the only intercity line not to have been electrified - surely
if
> > >the Blue Mountains can be electrified (with a population catchment of
> about
> > >50,000), surely the southern highlands (without about 75,000 people)
> should
> > >be electrified as well? Now that Wollondilly Shire is officially part
of
> the
> > >Sydney metropolitan area (and I would suspect Wingecarribee Shire not
too
> > >far behind - or perhaps it could become a metro area in its own right)
it
> > >might be something worth looking into.
> > >
> > >Also, this would have the effect of greatly improving service
regularity
> and
> > >speed for commuters in the south-western suburbs..... while people in
> > >Hornsby, Penrith and Sutherland can catch intercity services express to
> > >Central, while people in Campbelltown have to put up with the poor
excuse
> of
> > >a rail line called the East Hills line... has anyone ever caught a
train
> > >from Campbelltown to Central in peak hour? The train is full by
Macquarie
> > >Fields! And even the so-called 'express' service stops at stations
which
> it
> > >should just fly through, like Riverwood Padstow and Kingsgrove.....
> > >
> > >Oh well, my rant on south-western railway services should be left to
> another
> > >thread...
> > >
> > >Regards,
> > >Bradley.
> > >Who now lives in Wollongong and enjoys the V-set expresses up to
Sydney.