Re: Blockworking?

In <851ga0$kv3$1@the-fly.zip.com.au> "Bradley Torr" <btorr@bigpond.nospam.com> writes:

>I was wondering what exactly blockworking was? From what I've read on here,
>it appears to be a rather primitive way of organising train movements, but
>what does it involve?

Ok, Block Working is where only one train is permitted in a section of track
between two *locally controlled* locations at any one time. This can be two
signal boxes, two block posts (during single-line working on a double track
or wider corridor), signal box and a block post, etc.

The key is that each location must have a person physically at the location
solely for the purpose of co-ordinating train movements through the section
in either direction with the person at the other end of the section and the
train controller. Remote-controlled interlockings cannot be operated
remotely for any sort of block working.

Regards,

Craig.

--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport