Re: Olympics service (Was Carlingford line & was Cumberland Line)

Well this is to be expected really. A shortage of trains is likely to
happen. After all, prior to this they retired the U boats and delayed the
building of the millenium train. I've also heard some other interesting
timetabling that will be introduced:

*Shipping containers will be converted to take passengers and hauled arond
by 86 class locomotives

*XPT services will only run with 3 cars as the rest of the carriages will be
in use by cityrail

*Sydney Light Rail trams and some Sydney Tramway Museum vehicles will run on
the olympic loop

*Wires will be raised on the olympic line to accomodate double stacking

*many locomotives will be brought back into service including the remaining
46, 44, 38, 36,
57 and 35 class locomotives

Who wants to put money on the trains running as badly as they did after that
new timetable in 1997? Its a safe bet they will.

Brendan

"Bill McNiven" <wmcniven@gunzel.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
wlrc4.5814$FY3.9801@ozemail.com.au">news:wlrc4.5814$FY3.9801@ozemail.com.au...
> The story archived at
> http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/news/19991220/A49708-1999Dec20.html
reports:
> * Trains to Sydney on the southern line will start from Dapto instead of
> Bomaderry;
> * on the south-western line at Moss Vale instead of Goulburn;
> * the Blue Mountains line will be shortened from its Lithgow terminus to
> start and finish at Katoomba.
> * Regional Newcastle services will be closed.
> * In Sydney, the new Cumberland line, linking Campbelltown with Blacktown,
> will be shut down during the Games with commuters required to change at
> Granville to make that journey.
> * All people travelling to the city via the Carlingford line will need to
> change at Clyde.
> * Buses will replace trains between Bankstown and Lidcombe via Regents
Park.