Re: High-voltage track circuits

The Steam Ranger line is a low budget tourist rail, maintained and operated
by volunteers, so no the rail would not have maintenance moves over it, the
drivers just approach all crossings with caution. However on our
metropolitan system, we run railcars after a strike to clean the corroded
rail, the old Red Hens were perfect for this task but there are no more in
service. The 2000 & 3000 classes are used, although they cause there own
problems with lack of weight and too good a movement on the track (rides
perfectly on track, whereas older trains would crab walk and shake). We have
wrong side failures on a normal day due to the new design of trains. Hence
the importance of rail grinding or track profiling. Anyway I hope this
trivia could be of use to you.

Regards

Rob
Ronald BESDANSKY <ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote in message
k3wb4.6004$oJ5.13439@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:k3wb4.6004$oJ5.13439@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Does your use of high-voltage pulse track circuits affect the rules about
> having to run a rail-cleaning locomotive through a section which has not
> been used for some time, before you can run passenger trains?
>
> I remember some years ago after a long rail strike in Sydney there were 48
> class DE locos running all over the place on rail cleaning duties.
>
> Rgds
>
> Ron BESDANSKY
> Rob <robd74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > In South Australia, on the Steam Ranger Tourist Rail (Mount Barker to
> Victor
> > Harbour) we use Lucas Girling Track circuits, which apply a 50 to 100
volt
> > pulse on the rail, for rust purposes as the line is not used often
enough
> > create a good circuit between train and rail.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Rob
> >
> > Ronald BESDANSKY wrote in message ...
> > >An experiment was carried out about 30 years ago on the NSW National
Park