Re: Independent Review of Rail Safety Arrangements in Australia

John Kerley <deaftech@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
8Jeb4.1199$FY3.2281@ozemail.com.au">news:8Jeb4.1199$FY3.2281@ozemail.com.au...

> Exnarc <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> >
> > <snip>
> > Every System required someone to protect in the rear during failures,
not
> > just TS&T. When 2 man crewing was introduced the rules were changed to
> make
> > provision for this, DOO is just an extension of that.
>
> Not exactly.   When travelling on train staff i.e. not on ticket, or on
> electric staff on a single line, rear end protection was not required.

Check again. On TS&T if the Fireman went forward the Guard protected in the
rear, if the Fireman went back he protected according to Reg 239 on his way,
Guard protected in the oposite direction. If relief was not available from
the direction the fireman went, then both the staff and the Fireman were
transfered to the other end of the section. ie: the Fireman didn't allow the
staff out of his sight until he handed it to the relief Driver.

This way both directions were protected by detenators, hence the word
"Protected".

 > <snip>
> >
> > For example: DOO in limited applications is safe (such as V/Line Pass,
the
> > Met apply it etc), in the form that NRC propose (IMO) it isn't.
> >
> I certainly do not agree that DOO as used on the Met is safe.  My son was
> nearly killed shortly after guards were removed when a train took off when
> there were still half a dozen people boarding.  These incidents are still
> happening.  Even in the last month there was a press report of lady caught
> in the doors and dragged along the platform and only saved by a young
bloke
> pulling her free.  I wrote to both the Minister and the Union over the
> incident with my son.  The Minister replied saying "It was all the
driver's
> fault".  The Union did not even have the courtesy to reply.  No wonder,
> given the way they betrayed their members at the back so that those at the
> front could gain  their "thirty pieces of silver"!

You are entitled to your opinion, I doubt if the Ministry would have said it
was the Driver at fault, if they had they would have been admitting
liability, something they never did.

As for people being dragged, I can't see how that is any different to before
guards were removed, my recollection of the majority of Suburban guards was
that they gave 2 beels to the Driver, shut the van door and went back to
reading their papers, meanwhile the train was departing the platform, this
happened both with and before power doors.

Yes I agree people do sometimes get caught in doors, but lets examine why!!!

1. Firstly before departing the Driver must ensure that the doors are clear.
2. He presses the door close button.
3. He observes he has a steady blue light on the door closed panel.
4. He departs.

To this point it is impossible for him to move the train, until he gets the
Steady Blue Light. It just will not power.

Lets look at how people get dragged.

After the doors close button is pressed, a time delay of 3 seconds will
occurr before the doors close and traction power is available, the doors are
fitted with a Secondary Release Feature which, if a door fails to close
completely due to a person or object being caught in the door, the doors
will release again to allow the person or object to be removed, during this
time the chimes will sound for upto 60 seconds, all controlled by the
Programmable Logic Control (PLC).

Now to get dragged, the doors must have been proved to be closed before
power can be obtained, once power is obtained and the train commences to
move, any "FOOL" who then tries to open them to board a moving vehicle is
asking for what they get. Power is unavalable till the Doors are proved
closed, then it takes another 3 seconds before the train can move.

As for your comments about betrayal and 30 pieces of silver, I 'll treat
that with the contempt it deserves.

See to be dragged, (or nearly dragged) you would have to be sky larking or
down right Stupid, I'll leave the judgement upto you!!!!!

> > The removal of Guards was not a retrograde step, infact it has improved
> > operations in Victoria,
>
> For drivers pay!

What 18% increase, get real!!!!

Bob.