Re: Independent Review of Rail Safety Arrangements in Australia

Ronald BESDANSKY <ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote in message
Sbwb4.6019$oJ5.13394@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:Sbwb4.6019$oJ5.13394@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> John Kerley <deaftech@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> JVhb4.1290$FY3.2272@ozemail.com.au">news:JVhb4.1290$FY3.2272@ozemail.com.au...
> >
> > Dave Proctor <thadocta@spambait.dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
> > 84k1vu$q2v$3@news1.mpx.com.au">news:84k1vu$q2v$3@news1.mpx.com.au...

> > not

> > > You sure about that? What about warning the loco sent to recover the
> train
> > > (if it came from behind) that it was approaching the failed train?
> > >
> > > Dave
> > >

> > This rule applied to the initial stoppage.
> >
> > However if relief needed and the staff taken away from the train, then
> > protection was required.
> >
> I thought this was covered by the driver (or someone) issuing an authority
> to the driver of the relief engine to enter the occupied section to assist
> train stopped at mileage xx.y and that the failed train would not be moved
> until arrival of the relief engine.
> Rgds
> Ron BESDANSKY

I was talking Victorian rules in the days of fully staffed trains, which I
understand may have varied from other states and certainly are different
from today's rules.   I was  also only refering to the situation where the
train was in possession of the staff. Relief orders of the the type you
refer to were used in other situations, and could well be the norm now for
all situations with the staff being secured with the driver and not sent
away.

Cheers,

John Kerley