"Malcolm Moore" [Was: Sugar loco "Bundy" to steam north]

In article <38a2b285@grissom>,
"canetram59" <canetram59@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Bundy" was the official name of a Bundaberg Fowler 0-6-2T which was
>supplied new to and worked at Mossman Mill. It carried brass name plates
>to that effect.  [...]

Ah!  My recollection was correct then!
Dementia is still a day or two away. :-)

I wasn't prepared to argue with David's claim re Millaquin to Mossman,
memory being what it is.  Also, the LRRS listing is not definitive on
this point because it only lists the *last* mill owner.

Continuing with the LRRS list of sugar locos:

There is a Malcolm Moore listed at Mossman under the name "Stumpy".
Now, while the name is entirely appropriate, I'm wondering if it is
the same MM I knew in the mid/late 50s?  As far as I recall, "my" MM
was simply known as "the Malcolm Moore".  Not very creative I admit. :)
Perhaps it eventually got the proper name "Stumpy", or perhaps "Stumpy"
is a different loco altogether?

When the Malcolm Moore arrived its main duty was shunting things around
in the mill yard.  In particular, it superceded "Silver" the draught
horse who had worked around the sugar room for many years drawing the
wagons of bagged sugar out of the loading area to form up the rake
waiting to go to the sugar wharf at Port Douglas.  I remember driving
the MM a short distance not long after I got my car driver's licence.
It was quite weird: clutch, brake, accelerator just like a car -- but
no bloody steering wheel!  Disconcerting to say the least! ;-)

Cheers,  Ian S.

ianstDELETE@THISdpi.qld.gov.au