Re: (NSW) How good are our trains?

I was able to buy a drink from a tokyo express train (ie: express
suburban) in Japan from a vending machine.

I dont think that the Australian rail system is poor. The fares
are cheap, the trains are usually about 90 - 95% on time or near
it, and they go a fair distance. By the way, 40 km is absolutely
nothing in this country where cities spread over hundreds of
square Kilometres. In Switzeralnd, 40km might be like going from
Sydney to Newcastle (relatively - in terms of the relative
commuting times). The train I travelled on in japan wouldnt have
gone 30km - but that was considered long distance, and we were out
of tokyo within minutes.

Brendan