Re: (NSW) How good are our trains?

There has just been a mention of one in misc.transport.rail.europe :
Suedostbahn's Zuerich - Eisiedeln in Switzerland, which has a bar car on a
~40 km journey.  I recall that one passenger was able to purchase and
consume a beer in the equivalent of Melbourne to Richmond.  One of the
lighter interburban railways in the Solothurn area runs a bar in the back
cab of an articulated tram (as does a German operator).

European services tend to be faster and cleaner than Australian ones, with
none of the Victorian concept that trains have to go slowly for the first 6
km, and slowly over crossovers, and slowly through stations at which they
are express.

The original NSW single-deck interurban design had a buffet planned (half a
vehicle, bar stools at a counter); no buffet was built.

--
Regards
Roderick Smith

Eric Cartman <erk_cartman@yahoo.com> wrote in article