Re: Trees and golf links spared

A follow up article appeared in today's Daily Telegraph:
"Parramatta Park could be spared the ravages of a new rail link, the
Parramatta Park Trust announced today.
In the PPT proposl, parkland used to build the Parramatta Rail Linl, could
be taken from a nearby road.
Under current plans 650-900 sqm will be permanently taken from the park and
a larger area used as a depot for construction vehicles.
Roads and parland will also be off limits to the public during the two year
construction period.
PPT chairman Tom Uren said heavy construction vehicles passing through the
park would cause immense damage, particularly to fragile root systems of
heritage trees.
'We don't want them in the park under any circu,stances' Mr Uren said.
'We're starting to make an impact rehabilitating the park and then along
comes this thing that wants to scar our park. It would be devastating.'
The PPT suggested a temporary construction depot could be be located on
nearby Park Pde and traffic diverted through surrounding streets.
And the three lane Park Pde could also be reduced to two lanes, instead of
taking the park lands."