Re: Sugar loco "Bundy" to steam north

In article <38a20072@dnews.tpgi.com.au>,
"David Rowe" <drowe@tpgi.com.au> wrote:
>> Reported in _The Cairns Post_ Sat. 5 Feb 2000, p.13:-
>>
>> As part of Centenary of Federation celebrations "Bundy" the steam loco
>> will attempt to travel from Nambour in SEQ to Mossman in FNQ in July/
>> August this year utilising the existing light rail network (2' gauge)
>> of the sugar mills along the route.  The train ("Bundy" and three
>> covered carriages) will be transported by road where there are no rail
>> links from one mill area to the next.
>
>It's interesting that EVERYBODY refers to this loco as "Bundy".
>
>IT IS BLOODY WELL NOT!!!  It is "Pleystowe No 5"
>
>"Bundy" was in fact a Millaquin loco, later at Mossman hauling the
>Balley-Hooley express tourist train.

I understand and sympathise with your indignation!

It struck me at the time when I read the article in the _CP_ that the
PR types were coining a more "acceptable" name that could more readily
be sold to, and prounced by, the hoi polloi.  ;-)  But in all fairness
the article did mention its earlier history at Pleystowe and the fact
it had been donated to the Australian Narrow Gauge Railway Museum at
Woodford in 1971.

You are of course correct about "Pleystowe No. 5", but I'm sorry to
learn of such lack of creativity in loco naming at Pleystowe.  ;-)
I seem to recall a "Bundy" at Mossman years ago, but I didn't realise
it had come from Millaquin.  Nor was I aware it had become part of the
tourist venture at Mossman Mill.

Cheers,  Ian S.

ianstDELETE@THISdpi.qld.gov.au