Re: 422s to Broken Hill

Maurie Daly wrote in message ...

>Where are 422s able to be refueled.
>As I understand it , the 422 works the train from Orange to BH .
>Orange to BH is easily within the fuel range of a single 422 with the sort
of
>load that the BH pass is .
>Sydney to BH would not be possible with a single 422.
>Its more likely that 2 X 422s are used in case of breakdown.

They aren't THAT unreliable are they?

On the return, there is insifficient time (I think, I was too dozy the last
time I caught it) to refuel at Orange, so it would be BHQ to SYD in one
hop - although if it is only for the return working, one would think they
could operate double headed from SYD to OAG on Tuesday, leave one loco in
OAG while the other one works to BHQ - they could then attach the loco that
remained at OAG on Friday morning and shut down the other one.

Dave