Re: Tassie Garret & Penndennis Castle

chris@enet21.com.au wrote:

> Would you then like to see NSW  locomotive number 1 or 18 running? If it was
> it would have to be totally rebuilt with modern parts  therefore losing its
> historical significance. All the WHR salvaged was basically the power units
> and frame to rebuild into a new loco. Thus the tassie garret has lost a lot
> of its historical significance. A very cheap way of building a new garret
> for the WHR. Some things (ie one of a kind) are best left in original
> condition even if it means static.

I think a replica of K1 would have been the best choice, especially when it is a
one of a kind. But we don't have control over that loco. We do have control over
the Pendennis Castle and we should make sure that it ends up where it will be
looked after. The Didcot Railway Centre is clearly one of the best places in the
world for it. We can't look after it properly here, so it should be sent back to
where it can be.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: