Re: The inland rail route

Its not an "accident" that those junctions face the "right" way.

I understand that there was a systematic upgrading of the inland NSW branch
system during WW2, at the instigation of the US military, to create
cross-country capacity from south to north and to avoid potential strategic
bottlenecks like a sabotaged or bombed Hawkesbury River bridge.

It turned a trunk and branch schematic for NSW into a network (not to
mention giving the safeworking fraternity and interesting time working out
how to operate all those triangular junctions).

See thread on WW2 line capacity.

Barry Campbell wrote in message <4pfk4.12961$3b6.56174@ozemail.com.au>...

snip

>Which junctions are pointing the right way? Coota is OK, what about
>Stockinbingal, Parkes, Narromine and Dubbo are all OK but where would it go
>after that?

Troy Jct, Merrygoen, Binnaway (last 2 unfortunately without triangular
junctions), Werris Ck, Wallangarra, Towoomba, Brisbane (hopefully without
gauge problem)? Sounds like WW2 plan, eh?