Re: The inland rail route

Expect capacity limitations on the main Sydney Melbourne link may be the
reason.

The Shepparton route will separate "inland" traffic.  There is a lot of talk
about std gauge between Moree and Brisbane with a new route down the range.

Goldie

"Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
4pfk4.12961$3b6.56174@ozemail.com.au">news:4pfk4.12961$3b6.56174@ozemail.com.au...
> During my trip down the Newell Hwy (See thread on train orders in NSW) I
> took note of the potential inland Bris - Mel route.
>
> I see that there is a study being done on part of the dreaded Melbourne to
> Darwin line, namely the bit that runs between Melbourne and Brisbane. This
> is, in my opinion, the only part of the thing that will ever have any
chance
> of getting up and it makes me think that this may be the main aim of the
> proponents.
>
> However, I digress.
>
> The Melbourne to Darwin consortium is investigating a route via
Shepparton,
> but a quick look at the map seems to indicate that using the existing sg
> route as far as Coota would be just as effective and much cheaper. Does
> anyone know why the Shepparton route is being proposed?
>
> Which junctions are pointing the right way? Coota is OK, what about
> Stockinbingal, Parkes, Narromine and Dubbo are all OK but where would it
go
> after that?
>
> I saw a reference in Railway Digest recently about a scheme to use rail to
> trucking point (presumably Moree) and the use road transport into
Brisbane.