Re: The inland rail route

> >I prefer to spend 13 billion$(this is how much it would cost to build
> >this line!) on current rail network, improve track
> >alignment,infrastructures, new rolling stocks, subsidy long distance
> >passenger service and urban rail service, reduce running time and
maybe
> >reopen a few closed branches, accelerate some long delay rail
projects
> >like Sunshine Coast rail,Toowoomba main range deviation,  Coolangatta
> >extension, Rowville-Glen Waverly line, Sydney's High Speed InterUrban
> >service, Melbourne airport line, Adelaide light rail conversion etc .
>
> >13 billion $ would easily solve almost all the problems currently
rail
> >operators facing and improve efficiency of the network.
>
> >Cheers
> >James
>
> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.
>
> In fact nothing like $13 billion needs to be spent on the current
Network to
> bring it up to a reasonable standard.
> The BTCE in Working paper 14.2 publish 1994 on the adequacy of Rail
> infrastructure estimated that only $4 billion was needed to improve
the
> existing interstate network to the following standard.
>
> Axle loads 	25 tonne @ 160 km/h
> Clearances 	4.8 M
> All 60 kg/M on concrete.
> CTC all the way from Brisbane to Perth.
> Uniform communication systems.
> Max gradients 1:50

3.13 Billion$ to be exact according to released from ARA
and you can use the rest of about 10 billion$ to do a lot of fancy
things, order tilt trains, add couple of lines in all urban networks,
open couple of closed branches, maybe electrifrication the entire North
Coast line (or even standardlisation all the way from Brisbane to
Carins).
Lower the fare, fund railway research,

> I have a few reservations with their estimate in that double stack
clearances
> thru sydney will require a separate freight line and the lowreing of
the
> floors of quite a few tunnels.
ARA's estimation included the separation of frieght/passenger trains

> In 2000 dollar terms it will be a bit more but nothing like $13
billion which
> is total economic insanity.
>
> Just as a simple exercise to the readers of this group , figure out
how many
> trains per day would need to run over a $13 billion dollar rail line
to darwin
> to make it profitable.

I would say at most they will get 5 trains!