Re: The inland rail route

In article <38918939@pink.one.net.au>,
  "Nobody" <dweebken@NOSPAM.yahoo.com> wrote:
> The Melbourne - Darwin line is part of a scheme to export goods from
> Australia's south to Asia avoiding several days of travel from
southern
> ports. A superhighway of trains meets superfast superferries at
Darwin to
> run the goods up to Asia. This has the same benefits as the Panama
Canal -
> exporting of goods without running around a continent to do it.
>
> This should work because the rail link unlike road will have ability
> travel at 200km/h and move a far heavier tonnage.
>If it ran through Brisbane
> the only real benefit would be interstate freight and passenger
services, as
> QLD has many effective forms of transport to Asia (many ports and a
huge
> rail system).
> Melbourne to Darwin will be different because it will be faster.
Darwin will
> grow and become the centre of trade for Australia with Asia. Havent
you
> noticed that rail heads usually attract goods?
The only problem is if the Alice Spring-Darwin line finishes, there
will be only one train run on that line per day(exclude Ghan), how many
trains will run on this line?

>Look at the effect of rail at
> Newcastle, Lithgow, Wollongong Albury and many other such towns that
simply
> would not thrive or exist thanks to the rail industry. Darwin may be
only
> marginally bigger than Cook in WA, but it can grow.
>
> Brendan

I prefer to spend 13 billion$(this is how much it would cost to build
this line!) on current rail network, improve track
alignment,infrastructures, new rolling stocks, subsidy long distance
passenger service and urban rail service, reduce running time and maybe
reopen a few closed branches, accelerate some long delay rail projects
like Sunshine Coast rail,Toowoomba main range deviation,  Coolangatta
extension, Rowville-Glen Waverly line, Sydney's High Speed InterUrban
service, Melbourne airport line, Adelaide light rail conversion etc .

13 billion $ would easily solve almost all the problems currently rail
operators facing and improve efficiency of the network.

Cheers
James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.