Re: Metro Light Rail, Sydney

Andrew Honan wrote in message <38955aa8.735445@news.zipworld.com.au>...

>Yes a good idea... I think thay could do a lot.
>(The explorer to Canberra did have a phone but it would only take
>credit or telstra cards and I couldn't operate my home link 1800
>number, to let my wife know that the train was delayed)
>I think they could really beat the airlines and buses with these sorts
>of amenities. eg a club lounge, conference cubilcles with data and
>voice connections, even sophisticated services such as video
>conferences.
>Problem is taht they do not attract the business community (will have
>to wait for the TVG)
>
>they could still offer high quality videos (DVD's) or dare I say it,
>gaming machines

Oh dear oh dear - someone forgot to take their pills.

We are talking about a passenger service that the operators do not want to
run, funded by a government that only runs it because it would cost them
votes if they didn't. We are lucky that we have what we do - remember, the
recommendation of the Booz-Hamilton (or whatever they were called) report in
1990 was to abandon country passenger trains altogether.

Dave