Re: SL15/16 via Junee Triangle not station (Semi Long Junee Report)

David

I caught ST3 Sydney - Junee but noticed a lot of people in the 2 cars of
SL15 at Central. Who knows, it may even justify a third car! Interestingly,
both trains went via East Hills due to trackwork at Lidcombe, so ST3 didn't
overtake SL15 at Campbelltown.

On the way to Junee I noticed about four Mel-Syd frreighters (both NR/FC)
and the train arrived close enough to time into Junee. After checking into
the pub on the down side of the line and a quick snap of 82-81-48-48 moving
in the yard (from the verandah of the pub), iI went to the side of the line
near Junee North box awaiting SL15.

I waited, and I waited and I waited. Out of the corner of my eye I thought I
saw SL15 approaching but that was when it was going via the north triangle
as I said originally. I went back to the station and checked with the
CountryLink Info Line (an oxymoron I know at times) at 1530 which stated
that SL15 arrived at Junee @ 1500. (Obviously the loop or Old Junee is the
timing point now, not the station for SL15/16).

Over the remaining part of the Saturday and Sunday, there were a few
freighters (mainly at night) and movement of locos around the yard. As I
said before, I had a good view of the action from my hotel's verandah (a
welcome relief from the heat).

On the Sunday, I found out that the signals are not working after the
23/12/99 derailment found the damaged signals in the carpark at the station.
I went for a walk to the triangle and got some good shots of SL16 along with
a local and one of the staff members of SL16. (You might get lucky there
David!)

After a couple more freighters and lunch, I observed a strange movement of
ST4 (later repeated that night when I was on ST2). The train pulled up to
the down main platform (#1) and after stopping, it reserved (I found out it
reverses to past the swimming pool and close to the Sydney end entry to
loco) then proceed back through the station next to platforms 2 or 3
(stopping to make sure the level crossing is working) and off to Sydney. So
I had time for  a station shot or 3 then over to the earlier spot where I
waited for SL15 the day before for a XPT leaving shot. Luckily I did because
ST3 was late and I had to go Loco for the tour @ 1400.

The tour of Junee Loco is highly recommended and worth the effort. Guided
tours run at 1030 seven days with an extra tour at 1430 on weekends and
public holidays.  C503 was there (in V/Line colours) as stated in another
post. Also there were 4498, 4403, 4807, 4814 another tuscan 48 and 4503.
Steam crane 1080 was also in residency.

That is basically my weekend in Junee, pics with full info soon on my
website www.erk.au.com

Eric

--
Eric
www.erk.au.com
David Johnson wrote in message <38956C6A.4432FE0A@ozemail.com.au>...
|Eric Cartman wrote:
|
|> Hi
|>
|> I spent the weekend of 29/30-1 in Junee and learnt (at the expense of
|> missing photographing SL15 on Saturday) that the Griffith passenger
trains
|> operate via the northern leg of the Junee triange and not via the
station.
|> Taxis apprantley convey (any) passengers between Old Junee and Junee
|> station. My pics of SL16 at the triangle on Sunday will be on my site
soon.

|I will be on SL15/16 this weekend.  Is anyone else going to be?

|--