Re: alt.binaries.rail.australia idea. any support?

I'm with Ozemail and I get 5mb of web space (I don't use it for much now that I
have moved my site to Railpage). This is enough to display quite a few jpeg
images. Even if your ISP doesn't give you web space you can get free space from
a number of providers like Geocities. With any of these services all you need
to use is a simple ftp client program like WS_FTP. If you don't know how to
code in HTML there are WYSIWYG programs like Frontpage to make it easy. You
don't even need a web site if you all you are going to do is display them on a
newsgroup. Simply place the full URL for the image (including the "http://") in
the text of a post and most newsgroup readers will convert them to links. If
you place a photo in your own web space you have full control over the image
and when it is deleted. I agree with Micheal that binaries newsgroups are
obsolete.

Michael Kurkowski wrote:

> Sorry Rex, no support from me. With the WWW available to practically
> everyone, posting binaries to newsgroups is obsolete. If you want to
> contribute to the eventual demise of Usenet, fine it's up to you, because
> the more binaries groups exist, the less likely it will be for an ISP to
> continue to offer Usenet as a service.
>
> Many already ban *binaries* on Usenet.
>
> Would you buy a 486 for $3000 or a Pentium III for $1500. Similar scenario.
> I would like to see your comments on how yet another binaries newsgroup can
> be beneficial to railfans, when the WWW already exists.

I want the 486! :-) With that I can play DOOM!!!!!!!!!! Who needs Half-Life or
Quake III? lol! :-) <g!>

> Website: http://www.netstra.com.au/~mk [UPDATES COMING SOON - I PROMISE!]

And so is christmas! :-)

--