Re: SLR - tram or light rail?

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
cNNk4.34$Wp3.384503@news0.optus.net.au">news:cNNk4.34$Wp3.384503@news0.optus.net.au...
> chris@enet21.com.au (chris@enet21.com.au) won a Nobel Prize for literature
by writing:
> > What is the difference? They call themselves Sydney Light Rail but on
> > the stations around  Darling Harbour they have large "tram stop"
> > banners. (I suppose "light rail stop" would be confusing to the public
> > and not fit on the banner). Or don't they know themselves.
>
> It's a legal difference. The vehicles themselves are called trams, but the
> infrastructure is legally a light "light railway" which has different
> operating requirements and regulations to a "tramway".

For instance, the Motor Traffic Act is specifically excluded from applying
to vehicles used on "railways or tramways". However, this exclusion was
itself modified so that it does NOT apply to "light rail vehicles", which
are subject to virtually all provisions of the act, except that they are not
required to be registered. The previous tramway system WAS totally excluded
from the operation of the act.

--
Rgds

Ron BESDANSKY