Re: Goodbye Overland

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 thalytgv@my-deja.com wrote:

> All 3 sectors of "AN" weren't a good deal at all! old locos,
> unprofitable branches with old equipments, lousy tracks, poor patron
> passenger trains with middle of no where stops (Conamia/Keswick).

I hated the move to Keswick - but the previously AN track now under ARTC
control was hardly "lousy" - all concrete sleepers and continuous welds.

Too often people bad mouth the track condition between Adelaide and
Melbourne when even at the time of the AN sale, Tailem Bend to the SA-Vic
border was as good as any interstate track, and badmouthed the condition
of the Adelaide to Sydney via Broken Hill route even though the
AN-maintained section was in similarly high standard.

> GSR still have chances to save the train, better advertisment(Most
> people don't know Overland exist!).

I'd like a return to 7 nightly services per week, with guaranteed arrival
times and connections with the Sydney - Melbourne XPT. An all-rail daylink
service running 7 days per week would be good also.

> Plus recent booming SA tourist industry might give the train a chance
> to survive.
>
> Extra daylight schedule might help utility the equipment, Similar to
> what country link did with their XPT, short turning time and maximise
> running time.
>
> Or do what Amtrak did with their  "Mail express train"(passenger train
> hauls mail/fast courier frieght), 10 and half hours is very attractive
> for courier mail operators.
>
> Hopefully get the train into North Terrance

One could make platforms 8 and 9 dual gauge. Running locos around the
passenger carriages and motorail might be difficult within the present
confines of North Terrace though.

> > One would think that an organization that owned its own locos and
> didnt have
> > to hire them might stand some chance.
>
> Keep optimistic! this is the 2nd time GSR annouce they will withdraw
> the train, remember exactly an year ago they wanted to withdraw the
> train due to poor track condition? Maybe this time both state can look
> deep into the problem as both state fund "Daylink" service but not
> Overland?

It's hard to use the Overland when it is only running 3 days per week and
one usually uses it for when one has business in Melbourne lasting less
than one day... taking the Overland one way and flying the other isn't
cost effective compared with a return air fare either )-:.

Arthur.