Re: Dynamic Fairway

On most roads with trams there is a dashed yellow line designating a
Fairway. Its illegal to delay a tram on a fairway by waiting in front
of it to make a right hand turn (you must either abort the turn or move
to the left when a tram comes along). Some have a solid yellow line,
indicating that at certain times its a tram lane and youre not allowed
to drive in it. This is usually used in conjunction with a clearway so
theres a lane for cars and a lane for trams. There are signs telling
you what the times are (usually 7-9 heading towards the city or 4 - 6
heading away). You are always allowed to go onto the tracks to make a
right hand turn as long as you don't delay a tram. YOu can also go onto
the tracks if theres an illegally parked car as long as you move back
to the left. You also have to stop behind a stationary tram and give
way to people getting on and off. At an intersection or terminus, you
can go past at 10 kph if you have given way to all the passengers. YOu
can also do this if a uniformed tram person tells you to.

Did I miss anything?

In article <92e05t$64c$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  David Bradshaw <davidbradshaw@my-deja.com> wrote:
> As a NSW resident, I found the traffic in Victoria (both related to
> trams and otherwise) to be confusing enough, without the addition of
> lanes changing function dynamically! Having to turn right from the
left
> lane is strange enough ;-) .
>
> While to locals trams may seem like busses on tracks, to others trams
> may seem like small trains on the road! Quite confronting.
>
> So just what are the specific rules relating to trams?
>
> Cheers, David.
>
> In article <92c3ir$nja$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   Vaughan Williams <ender2000@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >
> > > It's meant to be automatic signs that light up telling cars to get
> > out of
> > > the way of trams, because of course The Powers That Be want to be
> > seen to be
> > > doing something, but don't want to introduce proper tram lanes.
> >
> > Or to enforce the ones we've got. The existing fairway system isn't
> > perfect, and there are a few places where cars legally delaying
trams
> > needs to be addressed, but just enforcing the existing system would
> > vastly improve the situation.
> >
> > We don't excuse a motorist who fails to give way at a roundabout
> > because there isn't a big flashing sign saying he or she has to.
> > Motorists are expected to know the road rules or they shouldn't be
> > driving. IIRC, obstructing a tram (or speeding past one that is
> > stopped) is in the same catagory as speeding by between 15 and 30
kph
> > or not stopping at a stop sign - a fine of something like $150 and
> > three points. If youre a p-plater, I think its supposed to be a loss
> of
> > licence offence. Someone might be able to confirm or clarify this.
> >
> > Has anyone on this newsgroup, or anyone you know, ever been booked
for
> > driving in a tram lane?
> >
> > Vaughan
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com