Re: Genesee & Wyoming / Westrail sale

  > Am I in the minority here, when I say that it's a great loss to our
> Australian history to have our railways renamed railroads? (A personal
> YUCK here).

I used to have the same gripe, until I heard that "Railroad" actually
originated in the UK, and was adopted by the Yanks.
I haven't been able to confirm this yet.  Does anyone know whether it is
true/false?

Also, there are/were a few US systems that are referred to as "Railways".  2
that come to mind are Chicago & North Western, and Sierra Railway.  I know
that there's more...

John Mccandless
Cloncurry  qld  au