Re: [NSW]-Question about signal phones

"Eddie Oliver" <eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au> wrote in message
3A433324.89191DDC@efs.mq.edu.au">news:3A433324.89191DDC@efs.mq.edu.au...
> Tezza wrote:
>
> > Possibly, so where in Sydney can I see other than what I've seen in more
than
> > 20 years.
>
> You could start at Central and Sydney Terminal.

Got some signal numbers? I was in both places tonight and didn't notice any.

> >BTW, have you checked the General Appendices?
>
> Not before you mentioned it, but at a quick glance, I still don't see
> anything. They did, of course, expire in 1993 or thereabouts.

You'd need more than a quick glance at that crap. 1992 there demise was
celebrated.

> > "This signal has a phone on it, it must be an automatic signal, I will
pass it
> > at stop" Get real.
>
> Good. I'm glad. So if people aren't going to apply the "rule", what use
> is it?

What use are most of the rules that are ignored daily? But I think your mixing
up what I said with what Ian(?) said. I never said the placement of the phone
had anything to do with whether or not or how it could be passed, I said it
was used to help determine what kind of signal was what.

> Indeed, what use is any "rule" which isn't written down and has
> so many "exceptions"?

What use is any rule which *is* written down and has so many exceptions? i.e.
any railway rule?

> Could you enlighten us more generally as to what
> other unwritten rules there are?

I'd have to consult my books.  :-)

> > That every rule has an exception? It's a rule on the railways. (which
means
> > there must be an exception).
>
> I guess you're being serious about that. Can you expand please? Are you
> saying that every rule has UNDOCUMENTED exceptions? If so, could you
> give some other examples so that something can be done to attack the
> problem?

The first thing a newbie learns on the railways is that every rule has an
exception. Please note that "every" is not strictly true.

"You can't pass a signal at stop". "Here is the list of 27 ways of passing
signals at stop."
"All automatic signals are offset." "Plated automatic signals are not offset."
"All switches on locos are American style up is on". "46 class use Pommie
style down is on switches".
"XX locos have generators, except XXY which has an alternator."

This is just a few quick ones, you come across hundreds of them in Safeworking
and Block School, and Electric School.