Re: [NSW]-Question about signal phones

"Eddie Oliver" <eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au> wrote in message
3A3B1DF9.32AB781A@efs.mq.edu.au">news:3A3B1DF9.32AB781A@efs.mq.edu.au...
> With reference to the debate quoted below, and things that others have
> said, I suspect we may have a problem of defining what we're talking
> about. If it helps, I will withdraw and apologise (at least until we
> decide just what the terms of reference are!) for what I had written
> about statements being rubbish, in case I misunderstood the intended
> context!
>
> There seem to be several different possible contexts:
>
> 1: the actual safeworking rules.
> 2: formal signal design standards.
> 3: what generally happens in designs even though there are not formal
> requirements.
> 4: what drivers etc may be taught or believe.
>
> To help resolve this, may I ask Tezza to be more specific about what he
> was taught, and what he believes the associations are between signal
> types and phone placement? That way we will at least have some common
> ground for what we're talking about.

I have no idea if there's anything in writing now. I can't remember if we were
given anything in writing years ago, I had a big cleanout this year and tossed
out years and years of what I considered crap, but quite a few here may have
thought otherwise.

I stand to be corrected but I think the following is correct.

Automatic Signal - Phone on signal post
Accept Signal     - Phone on signal post
Home Signal -       Phone on seperate post.
Outer Home Signal - Phone on signal post.
Starting Signal - Phone on signal post.

I know there are exceptions to this (as there is with everything on the
railways), especially with signals which have been converted from one type to
another.