[NSW]-Question about signal phones

Drivers,

Is there a convention with signal phones that if it's mounted on the
actual signal then that signal is 'permissive' (ie may be passed at
stop under certain conditions, autos and accepts) and if it's mounted
on a post beside the signal then that signal is 'absolute' (ie may not
be passed at stop, homes and starters). There seems to be this
unwritten rule which someone came up with years ago and we've seemed to
follow but upon speaking to drivers about it, they're response
was "That's news to me". So somewhere along the line it hasn't filtered
through. Or has it?

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com