Re: Wheaton Metro Escalator; 2nd Longest Anywhere?

        Chris, my apologies to you, your 'foot' ruler was more accurate than
my memory. It is fifteen or more years since I saw the MURLA escalator
drawings, obviously over that time my mind has played me false.
  This morning I checked at Flagstaff station, and yes, the steps are only
400mm long!
                        Mea Culpa! Mea culpa! Mea Culpa!
  This means that all my results must be reduced by one third.
  Amended results are now: Parliament, long esc. up : 28.97m/minute speed,
total length: 43.9m, slant length about 40m.
    Long esc. down: speed, 31.7m/minute, total length 43.5m, slant length
just under 40m, as both escalators are obviously the same length, say slant
length of 40m.
  Melb. Central, long esc. Eliz. St. end: speed up: 23.1m/minute, total
length: 31.9m, slant length about 28m.
  But at least the method  is correct, even if my data was wrong!
  This means that the Parliament escs. are a quite a way shorter than that
at Wheaton.
  An article in the March 1999 edition of 'Railways Today' describes a visit
to the three route metro in Kyiv, the capital of the Ukraine, and it said
that '...one of the central stations (name not given) has the world's
longest escalator with a rise of 65m ...' . This would give a slant length
of 130m, over three times that of the Parliament ones!

Regards,

Bill.