Re: Train trip and observations

maikha_l@hotmail.com wrote:

> To All
>
> Today I went back on the trains after a long time.......
>
> Does anybody out there know why on earth aren't the Plasma's at Penrith
> next to the booking office working, instead showing some sort of error?
> The ticket booths aren't functioning?
> And also why aren't the SPI's displaying anything useful, other than
> the time and
> "Cityrail welcomes you to Penrith Station"?

Funny you should say that. When I got there ~12:30 yesterday, both
plasmas on the overhead footbridge were working, and the SPI's were
functioning as well (the 12:33 Up Urban, and the (??) 12:39 Emu Plains
only).

Ask the SM when the ticket gates will be in use.

> ---
> I took the 9:16pm Inter-urban service to sydney terminal and
> coincidently travelled in a DKT carraige (Which I have been chasing for
> a long time for a picture. Very fortunate I had my trusty Ricoh with
> me!).
> Behind my seat, when I sat down, was a man taking up the 3 end seats
> and sleeping. When I mean sleeping, I mean snoring and dribbling!
> Four young girls right across me didn't notice him until Granville.
> They looked at him after I did and looked at me and shrugged their
> shoulders before contuing their convo.

A snoring, dribbling person on a V set - not uncommon :-)

> ---
> Along the line I managed to spot 86 classes going on the Main DOWN near
> Lidcombe. Since my V-SET was going too fast I still couldn't see an 81
> or a 422/442 hauling the 86's
> (As Documented on "The Railway News" June 2000, Published by NSWSRCA)

Take a ride up to Lithgow one day. If you want to see 85/86 classes, its
the place to be.

> ---
> At Lidcombe on the Olympic Sprint Platform, I saw a 2-car surburban set
> (Is this an L set? I thought there were only 5 of those and operate in
> Port Kembla??) standing there static.
> Dosen't the Olympic Park Sprint get hauled by an S set?

Usually an L set. IIRC, L11 and 12 are used often.

> ---
> Nothing useful was spotted after then.

:-(

> On my way home at Redfern Station, C8 (City Circle service) had
> problems opening its doors.
> A woman was running the length of the train to the cab and from my
> observation put some key somewhere which then opened all the stuck
> doors of C8. I took that service to Central where I then connected with
> the 6:32pm Inter-urban back to Penrith

C8 was the "tilt train" from a few months ago, wasn't it?

> I'm not much of a signaller but are signals controlled by Western
> Signal Box (Located at the end of PLatform 2 and 3 at Penrith) or are
> they automatic?

Penrith Signal Box, Platform 1 and 2.

> And also is it ok if someone can correct me if I've made an error.

Yes.

> Thanks
> Maikha "V" Ly
> http://www.geocities.com/microchip_689
> P.S. I am really tired after my day today. Too lazy to put "Ropsy" is a
> resgistered trademark and Why do motor cars need more maintenance, etc.

Why not create a .sig file?

--
Anita Lukaszyk
neety@iprimus.com.au