Re: Drunk cityrail driver

David Bradshaw wrote:

> I understand that there has been consideration of random testing at
> times other than sign-on. This appears to be a good idea, and
> preferably it would be done in an efficient manner so that trains would
> not be delayed by testing (ie have the testers already waiting at the
> station, rather than the driver having to wait to be tested).
>
> Has there been any progress with this idea?

They have realised that there would be too much delay to trains if they
tried that.  The driver would secure his train, then demand to go to a
private area for the test.  Then, just for fun, ask to see the calibration
certificates for the breathalizer, then check the operator is accredited in
its use.  I think the record is a 40 minute delay last time they tried this
trick.

> Do the police always do the testing?

It is often done by an officer of the State Rail Breath Testing Unit, when
done at sign on times.   When it is done after an incident, police generally
do it.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au